Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Nehemiah's Cry

Okay, my first stop on my journey is Nehemiah. Not really sure what made me choose this book, but I know that it's about leadership and a man with a broken heart for God's broken people, so I thought I could learn a lot from him! Plus, it's my Dad's favorite book. So, since he's my hero and taught me everything I know about leadership and service, I figured I learn from the one that taught him!

I know that if I really want to know God's heart, I have to do 3 main things. Study his words, pray and worship fervently, and serve his people. So that's what I'm going to do.

Today, I started with Nehemiah 1. I'm reading several commentaries on this so I can better understand this. So here's what I learned just in the first chapter (I'll summarize instead of typing my hour long study today)! Nehemiah was a cupbearer to the king of Susa (the capital city of the Persian Empire). A cupbearer is someone who tests the kings wine to make sure it's not poisoned! And he was also a close advisor to the king- a coveted position. God put him in the same place where Esther ministered just a generation before. So, this takes place in 444 B.C. Jerusalem was destroyed by Babylon in 586 B.C. 50 years later, a remnant of about 50,000 Jews returned to the city to rebuild. However, in 444 B.C. they had only rebuilt the temple. So the city was vulnerable to raids and attacks.  In Nehemiah 1: 2-3 Hanani, Nehemiah's brother, tells him that there is only a remnant in the city and that they are in great need- physically and spiritually. Nehemiah weeps for his people- fasting and praying- for days. This blew me away today. And immediately I thought of all of the tragedies we've seen over the last year- Earthquake in Haiti, earthquake and tsunami in Japan, tornados across the US and now recently the devestation in Joplin. What might be just as devestating is the millions of people walking around day to day without hope- searching for purpose, worth in their life. And even more devastating, the millions of Christians who stay silent in their comfort and satistfaction of their purpose. I thought, have any of us really poured ourselves over these victims? Really labored in prayer for these people? We say, "I'm praying for you," but do we really? Nehemiah bowed himself before the Lord in the direction of his devasted home and poured himself out, pleading with God for his people. Vs. 5-11 is the account of his prayer before the Lord- one of many- about his broken people. He begins in vs. 5 by praising God for being a faithful, great and awesome God. In vs 6-7 he confesses the sins of his people- including himself. Then, he asks the Lord to remember His promise of wrath because of sin and His promise to redeem and restore His people in vs. 8-10. Then he asks for the Lord's help in vs. 11. Nehemiah praised God, confessed sin, and prayed on behalf of his people. But it didn't end there- if you know the story of Nehemiah- he volunteers and takes on the task of rebuilding. He asked for the Lord's help and wisdom every step of the way.

The next thing I did today was offer up a prayer. Prayer is the foundation of our life with Christ. James 5:16 says "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective." And Ephesians 3:20 says, "Now to Him who is able to do far more abudantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us." First of all, we always think that prayer is a last resort or isn't powerful. What can I do, besides pray of course, we ask? PRAYER IS POWERFUL!!!! Why- because God will do MORE than what we ask Him to do! And we have His power working in us for Him and His glory! So it is POWERFUL when his people pray. 2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "When my people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

So, what God taught me today- prayer is very powerful! It is the foundation, the beginning, and the heart of all we need to do! Here's what I did today, I wrote down my prayer (because I'm a writer and I talk better when I write it out!) then I read it to the Lord and added to it. So if you have a hard time praying, write it down first! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment